Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sleep Tight, They’ll Bite You Regardless of Precaution

I am very late to the QR Reader game, mostly because I only just realized one of the ways it can be personally benefitting. But that is not what this is about. I was standing on the subway, barely conscious, as most passengers usually are, when I notice a QR code among the ads above the doors in the car. Immediately, I think of capturing the code and have my iPhone interpret it for me at some future point with 3G service. My brain remembers which pocket my phone is in and a split second later my hand is fishing around for the aforementioned phone. Then I stop. I look around, feeling guilty as hell. I just become aware of why I stopped brandishing my state-of-the-art-keeping-up-with-the-jones’-phone. The QR code in question belongs to a Bed Bug exterminator/prevention advertisement. What would people think if they saw me interacting with such a banner? What would I think if I happen to be alerted to some lad fitting my description being super interested, even super technologically interested, in an advertisement littered with Bed Bug material? I would certainly come to this conclusion: that cute guy has Bed Bugs and is desperate for prevention knowledge; why else would he be so actively interested in that ad? The truth of the matter is that, yes, I did in fact have Bed Bugs almost exactly a year ago, no, I have them no longer; but I am only interested in the QR! How do I convey this to the rest of the passengers? I cannot. Therefore I did not take the picture.

No comments: